If you added up all the whitetail bucks that Gordon Whittington has written of over the last 30+ years, you’d read over 1000 incredibly well crafted stories about some of the largest whitetails the world has ever seen. A man after our own heart, we could not wait to hear Gordon’s story about the bucks he’s written about, how he became the Editor in Chief of North American Whitetail Magazine, and the likelihood of him joining us again on the Big Buck Podcast. We know that this interview just scratches the surface, but we learned a ton and you will too.
HERE’S WHAT WE DISCUSS:
- The Late 70s, Antler Scoring, and the Beginnings of North American Whitetail Magazine
- The Greatest Whitetails All Time
- Writing about Whitetails for 30+ Years
- A Meat Processing Plant in Texas
- An Ability to Work with Words and the Shark Tank of Sports Writing
- Is Writing as Important Today as it was 30 Year Ago?
- The Hay Day of Record Bucks, Has it Come and Gone?
- The Basis for North American Whitetail Magazine
- Dick Idol
- Texas Sportsman Magazine
- Where is the Big Whitetail Frontier Now?
- A Bunt Over the Fence and Being the Caretaker of Whitetails
- A Base Level Assumption that Whitetail are Interesting
- A Story Creation: The Framwork, the Highlights, and the Facts
- Get Out of the Wayand Tell It, Reworking at Story
- Social Media VS The Old Network for Stories
- A Scoring System or the Deer and Cheating the System
- The Hole in the Horn Buck (or the Railroad Buck? Or Hole in the Antler)
- Collecting Antlers and Mounts- Is it a Good Idea?
- “Wrapping Up a Reunion with some Old Friends”
- The Chris Tyss Buck- Kansas (Shockey wrote the story)
- The Olaf Anderson Buck 1886 North Dakota
- The Doug Sebert Buck- Kansas 1987
- The Mel Johnson Buck- Illinois 1965
- The Hole in the Horn Buck Story
- The Harold Gould Buck- Maine 1910
- The Arthur Young Buck- “The Powder Horn” Pennsylvania 1830
- The Impressiveness of Big Thich Tines
- What would You Grab First in a Fire?
- Gravitating Towards the Story about the Buck
- Milo Hanson Saskatchewan 1993
- Nice Guys Shoot Big Deer
- Gordon’s Favorite Deer Story and Means of Hunting
- The Model 42 Winchester .32-.20
Our APP: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/app
Help Support This Show: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/pledge
FEEDBACK HOTLINE: 724-613-2825
HELP FUND THIS SHOW: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/donate
REVIEW and SUBSCRIBE on iTUNES and Stitcher:
Want to Know When the Next Big Buck Podcast is Released?
Then Join the Club: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/huntmail
Submit A Buck: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/mybuck
Be a Guest: Guests@BigBuckRegistry.com
Share for Share: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/s4s
Also find us on these fine networks: