Lots of things have changed since the Pope and Young Club formed in 1961. Once the compound bow was thought to be taboo, but today it’s old news. New rules might now make that once ineligible buck a state record and dwindling hunter numbers is a major concern.
Jim Willems speaks to us about all things Pope and Young on this show: from the origins of the club, to the myths that circulate in the general hunting community, to new more flexible rules, to the use of electronic technology, to the club’s biggest challenges, to the ultimate mission of the group.
Jim even takes us on a hunt in Kansas where he passes up 18 P&Y bucks before finding the one he was looking for during a 3 week hunt it the fall of 2014.
HERE’S WHAT WE DISCUSS:
- What is Pope and Young? Purpose, Mission, Roots
- The NFAA and Promoting the First Ever Archery Seasons
- Record Keeping and Archery Hunting Advocates
- 1961 Application for a Non-Profit Agency
- North American Big Game Species, 29 to be Exact
- Differences between Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young
- Hand Drawn, Hand Held, Fair Chase, Baiting and Dogs
- New Technologies and Conflicts with Records
- When the Compound Bow was Controversial
- The No Electronics Rule- Clarification and Changes
- Retroactive Rules and Ensuring the Future of Bow Hunting
- The Biggest Challenge of the Club today
- Crossbow Kills and What is Fair Chase Exactly?
- Why is Bow Hunting Ethical?
- Wounding Studies: Gun vs Bow
- Jim’s Bow and 30 Years of Muscle Memory
- Game Cameras and Food Plots, Hunting Hard
- Culling a Trophy Buck, What’s a Pope and Young Minimum Score?
- How to Join Pope and Young…
- Keeping Records Pure and True, X-Rays and DNA
- Velvet Entries, Lighted Nocks, and 40 Pope and Young Kills
- How to Submit a Trophy to Pope and Young…
- Drones, Cellular Game Cameras, Bow Mounted Cameras, and Range Finders
- Poison Arrows and Cheating the Systems
- Questions from Facebook: Jamie Baker, Garrett Tucker, Gary Parks, Austin Walker, Gary Dail, Tim Davis, Justin Rudder, Ben Adrian
Our APP: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/app
Help Support This Show: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/pledge
FEEDBACK HOTLINE: 724-613-2825
HELP FUND THIS SHOW: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/donate
REVIEW and SUBSCRIBE on iTUNES and Stitcher:
Want to Know When the Next Big Buck Podcast is Released?
Then Join the Club: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/huntmail
Submit A Buck: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/mybuck
Be a Guest: Guests@BigBuckRegistry.com
Share for Share: www.BigBuckRegistry.com/s4s
Also find us on these fine networks:
[iframe style=”border:none” src=”http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3667186/height/100/width/480/thumbnail/yes/theme/legacy” height=”100″ width=”480″ scrolling=”no” allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
Click here to listen to the episode!