Using a trail camera to scout for turkey
- Good to use on private land
- Cuts down the scouting time
- Help to figure out where to set up
- Can see specific birds
- Helps to know what times they frequent the area
- Snow still on the ground
- Gobbler came up to the lodge in camp
On the way home from camp came into an area that had a wild fire
- Too dry to burn
- Bone dry conditions
- Burn bans in affect
- Spring plants sucking up all the moisture in the ground
- Too much standing dead wood
- Logging creates natural fire break
- Private lands have too much fuel load on the ground in Northern Michigan
Deer are feeding heavily
- During green up the mature does are getting the best food
- Younger deer suffer with less to eat
- How much milk does a fawn need a day?
- How does that equate to deer browse?
Turkey populations low due to?
- Long winter
- Cold and wet weather leads to cold ground that keeps turkeys from laying eggs
- Pushes poults hatching later and not getting enough warm weather to gain enough weight to make it through the next winter
- Public vs Private land
- Mike got the first ticks of the year!
- Makes you itch for days
- Don’t forget your dogs too
Talking a little trout fishing
Spring weather affects so many things in the outdoors